Friday, August 17, 2012

Books - hmmmmm fun to read or not???

I started reading more often and I am really enjoying it.  I am learning a lot about the Lord and myself with the books that I have chosen or basically that God has led me too.  Although I must confess, sometimes I don't enjoy the books because I have to do work and change - lol.  Strange how I still have to change at age 48!

Take for example the new book I am reading, "Empty Promises, The Truth About You, Your Desires and the Lies You're Believing".  This book is by Pete Wilson, a Pastor out of  Nashville.

I am taking this book a little slow because it is stepping on my toes.  I am having to look and analyze why I do certain things.  For example, why is it so important that I need the approval from others?  What drives that inside of me?  Why isn't God's Word enough?  His promises and love should be more than enough!

So now I have been challenged by Pete to be aware of:  what I am saying, what I am doing, what I am thinking, how I am acting, where I am coming from and what my motives are!

Yikes!  My head hurts already!

He goes on to say that if I don't try to do these things I will spend my life trying to find my identity and worth in empty promises of attractiveness, acceptance, wealth and power.

He says that these things will just leave us empty and wanting more.  His point being that only God can fill our empty spaces.  He also states that idolatry is when I look to something that does not have God's power to give me what only God has the power and authority to give me.  So don't look to others for my approval, that is idolatry, I can only get that space filled by God.

So, I will be trying to do this over the next month or so, oh, and I am only on chapter 3!!  Wonder what else is going to hurt my head - lol!

As I am on my journey, I have found out some amazing things!  I am reading the Bible daily in a broken up manner that will allow me to have read the entire Bible in one year - I am loving this!  God has shown me His Word in a new way and it is really cool - like I am being transported back in time and seeing how the people in the Old Testament lived - it is really more real and alive this year!

I know that He wants me to be a minister of reconciliation and I am finding this through working with clients at the Center.

Also from a book I read earlier, "The Shack", I found out just how much God loves us and wants to spend time with us.  That He is a true gentleman and so very loving!  He has reconciled the world through Jesus and now He just waits for us to realize that and to come running to Him.

So, as my journey continues, please keep me in your prayers, as I think this new book is going to be a growing experience for me!  I do know one thing for certain, I don't want to believe any lies!

Thank you once again for joining me on my journey!  Stacy










No comments:

Post a Comment